First Steps to Changing Your Last Name in Wisconsin

If you choose to change your name after your wedding, most people will tell you it’s a complicated and long process. A few Barnwood team members have recently gone through the process and are here to say it’s not as difficult as people make it out to be. Here are the first two steps. 

Updating Your Social Security Card

The first step in changing your name is to update your name on your social security card. Most people can avoid a trip to the social security office by requesting this change online!

Go to this website and answer the questions to see if it’s possible to request online. You’ll create an account and request a new card with a name change. You’ll need the number on your marriage certificate – so make sure you have that handy. Just wait a week or so and your new card will be in the mail!

If it won’t allow you to request this online, you will have to visit a social security office near you. You can find the closest one to you on this website – and check if they take appointments to cut down on wait time!

There is no cost for this.

Updating Your Drivers License

Once you get your new social security card in the mail, you can update your drivers license!

This website is wonderful – you can submit the required form and, if acceptable at your DMV location, schedule an appointment to go in and get your new license or ID Card. You will have to bring a few items to your in-person appointment: 

  • Your current driver’s license or ID card
  • Your marriage certificate (they’ll give it back!)

They may also ask for these items, so bring them just in case: 

  • Proof of name and DOB (passport or birth certificate)
  • Two proofs of residency (recurring bills with your address on them, paystub, lease, etc)

In Wisconsin, a replacement ID is $14 and you should receive your new ID in the mail within two weeks.

P.S. If you don’t already have a REAL ID, it’s a good time to upgrade to that, as it will be required for flying in 2025.

There are a few different services that can help with changing your name, too. You may consider NewlyNamed, HitchSwitch, or MissNowMrs if you’d like a little more guidance.